Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Growing Up With Everything

My earliest childhood memory that I could place in a time frame on would be the day my younger sister arrived from the hospital. The memory starts with me looking out the window at my older sister just getting off the school bus. As she approach the door, I was by the window, shouting out loud that the baby is here. Then I ran up with execitement forgetting to even open the door.

Stitches of memory follows with the whole family going out to the Cultural Center of the Philippines for Saturday picnic. Picnic would include a new paper kite, this picnic tupperware "basket" of orange plates and cups, having rice and spam for food. This is where I learned to ride a bike as well.

On some rainy day, I would remember keeping myself busy with a pair of scissors and would cut out this circular pictures from this ad on badages on the Mode Magazine my mom brings home. I know, a kid with scisssors, still I have all my fingers.

When everybody was getting matchbox cars, transformers and all these 'matel' toys, I was happy with this 5 pesos ball filled with water or this plastic rocket launcher that I would pull with my dad's fishing strings. I also remember this best toy ever, a magnet that my dad took out from an old speaker.

When my cousins would come over, it would either be playing school, playing market or if it rains, paper boat racing along the gutter.

Hot summer days would be spent around the neighborhood. Taguan. Tumbang Presyo. Patintero. Langit/Lupa. Even games that we'll make up for the heck of it. I remember taking all the markers that we received and would dip it into glassses of waters to create something I don't remember. But the taking of markers and dipping it in water by the patio is still a vivid memory.

We grew up with everything, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home