Thursday, July 13, 2006

~ rain memories ~

It has been raining cats and dogs for the past two days, prompting classes to be called off, including grad school. This gives me more time for me to work on my paper on "Art of War and McKinsey's 7S. That said, let me stop talking about school and continue with my thoughts about the rain...

My fondest childhood memory was having the chance to go out and play in the rain. We used to live in Esmeralda Street in Manila and there, my brother and I had the chance to enjoy the rain especially when we have our paper boats. It was not hard to get mom's permission since I think she was convinced that the rain prevents prickly heat rashes. Oh, what fun it is to be a kid!

In between tween and teen years, rain is another opportunity to have extra sleep when classes are suspended. Or make the entire highschool barkada watch a movie (I have a vivid memory of watching Jurassic Park during a typhoon, because instead of going home we went to Glorietta!).

In college, going to DLSU on a rainy day was an adventure. Better to bring extra clothes and shoes! The dress code then didn't allow slippers and shorts making the students look like drowned cats in jeans and sneakers.

After college and into the corporate world....come rain or hale, there are slim chances of having work called off. There was a time that I was on conference call in the middle of a blackout, due to heavy rains, just to finish a meeting with counterparts in other countries. I was even on a small plane bound to Palawan for a convention and stressing out because the event was supposed to be outdoors.

But then, as time goes by, I still prefer the rainy weather over the summer heat. There are still fonder memories and experiences that happened in the rain. Warmer coffee mugs, deeper thoughts on friendships, happier times with special people and seeing the rainbow after every rain.

I am definitely looking forward to more rain memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home