Saturday, July 29, 2006

~ diamonds and drinks ~

Before anything else, I would like to apologize for the update delay, most of you knew why (and you'll read about it in this post). So here's a recount of what has happened for the past week, on my side of the world.

Prologue: After I leaped out of the corporate world last February, I thought it would be easier for me to juggle grad school and events without having to feel the burnout and stress. Wishful thinking. Even during out of the country (Vietnam) and town (Iloilo-Bacolod-Boracay) trips, we (together with Ria, Jackie, Ace and Dict) discuss and meet over meals, in between boat and bus transfers and before/after sleep. You may find this absurd, but it it more of reality than an exaggeration. An example, when we were in a conversation, we must first state the name/code of the event before we proceed with what we want to say. This prevented the confusion and mixing up of details. And I have yet to start talking about grad school work...

Fast forward to July 22 12:01 am. After a month and a half of planning, we find ourselves setting up for the event. We were surrounded with wood, paint, plexi glass, cds, mini dv tapes, sintra panels, scripts and cheese pimiento sandwiches in the ballroom of Hotel Intercontinental. Our greatest challenge was to execute a program suited for the client's two new diamond couples. By 11am, we were ready for the the tech run, with the venue looking like this (photo courtesy of marion manalo):

To cut the story short, the event went well except for minor technical problems (the wireless microphones had a life of their own!). I never felt so sleepy and tired that I was not much of help during the egress. Instead of staying for another overnight in the hotel, I decided to go home so that I can get a decent sleep and rest. I almost crawled towards my bedroom. With so much effort, I washed up, brushed my teeth, changed into a clean shirt and hit the bed. I didn't even have the energy to wear my pajamas!

Next week, wait for my rants or raves after the post event evaluation meeting with the client.

And you thought that we can rest...no, not yet...

July 27, 4:00am. Again, together with Ria, Jackie, Ace and Dict, we were finding our way out Glorietta after finishing the technical setup in TGI Friday's. It was a long walk and it was not made easier by the heavy things we were carrying (tool kit, boxful of balloons, laptop and printer). Halfway, Ace and I decided to leave the other three to get the car parked in the basement. Upon getting back in the condo, Ria immediately took a shower while I went online while waiting for my turn. The other three...well, they were already asleep on the floor, in their work clothes! I went to sleep with wet hair around 430am, woke up with damp hair around 9am and went back to the venue around 11am, with wet hair! By 2pm, we were all set. The venue was starting to fill up and by 4pm, we started the (design by ace espejo):

This was one fun event and the program went without any hitches. Although we encountered difficult patches with the clients during the planning stage, it was compensated with the chance of getting to know different people and establishing friendships (a shout out to the five bartenders and to jeans!) To cap off the event, we had free margaritas! And did I mention that everytime we were in the resto, we have our fill of yummy appetizers, salads, chicken fingers, desserts and drinks? We do have our perks...

So, there.

Oh, by they way, there's more. In between the two events, I was slaving on finishing my marketing paper. Mom can attest to the fact that I was still awake at 4am last Tuesday for that paper! It was a good thing that classes were called off that day, giving me more time to complete the paper. And it was a group paper...tsk tsk tsk...my groupmates were in la-la land, while I was having a nightmare! This is one loooong term!

Epilogue: After two events and term papers, I find myself home...sick! I guess I have to rest and enjoy this rainy weekend in bed. I will be missing a friend's wedding and a cousin's birthday party, but I need to energy to finish two more group papers and one final paper for marketing class. I cannot let my grades suffer, this is for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home